If you are looking for some Mother's Day afternoon tea ideas and inspiration then this is the blog post for you. Whether your mum has a sweet tooth or prefers savoury food, there are no rules when it comes to thinking up your menu for an afternoon tea menu so the possibilities are endless. Read on to discover some of our top tips for preferring the perfect Mother's Day afternoon tea spread and how we can take some of the hassles out of the preparation with our freshly made cakes and bakes that can be delivered directly to your door.
Set the Scene
First things first, you'll want to create an inviting atmosphere to enjoy your afternoon tea in. Whether you are hosting indoors or having a picnic outside, now is the time to use all your best crockery and cutlery. From tiered cake stands to your favourite china plates, our mums deserve only the best on Mother's Day. If you are struggling to find the perfect chinaware at home, why not take a trip to your local charity shop or borrow some from a friend. Now you can think about decorations for the table. We would recommend a pretty tablecloth, some colourful napkins and a vase of freshly cut flowers.
- Crokery and cutlery
- Teapot and teacups
- Cake slices for serving
- Vase of flowers
Choose the Menu
When deciding on what to include in your afternoon tea spread, you need to consider how many guests you are having, if they have any dietary restrictions and most importantly what type of food your mum prefers...this is all about her after all. Below we have listed some brilliant food ideas that are perfect for an afternoon tea and each one is linked to a recipe. We have also included our sweet treat boxes that are a great addition to any afternoon tea.
- Cakes - Our Gold Award Winning Cake-Away Classics Box is packed full of traditional Just Like Mumma’s bakes. From gooey brownies to good old-fashioned sponge cake, inside our cake selection box, you will find a brilliant assortment of our favourite traybakes, sponge cake, biscuits and pastry.
- Brownies & Blondies - Our decadent brownie box comes filled with six slices of our bestselling brownies and blondies, all of which are gluten-free. Rich, gooey and oh so delicious, our brownies are lovingly handmade in small batches and baked using only the highest quality fresh ingredients.
- Biscuits - Our bundle of bite-size treat boxes includes our Oaties, Shorties, Brownie Bites, Ginger & Chocolate Oaties, Lemon Shorties and our Blondie Bites. These small pieces of our tasty treats are the perfect addition to any afternoon tea spread.
- Cream Tea - Whether you choose jam or cream first, you simply cannot beat a Devon Cream Tea. Our Devon Cream Tea box is filled to the brim with everything you need to have the ultimate tea time treat. Don't skimp on the toppings either! Enjoy a whole jar of our Gold Award Winning Raspberry Preserve, and large Clotted Cream portions.
- Flapjack - A decedent update on the classic Millionaires Shortbread, our Millionaire’s Flapjack tastes as good as it looks! We layer smooth, sweet, homemade caramel over our buttery flapjack base. This is topped with pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried apricots, cranberries and sultanas and rich chunks of white and dark Belgian chocolate.
- Bakewell Tart - Our Champion Award Winning Bakewell Tart is the ultimate luxury teatime treat! Lovingly made in small batches to ensure only the highest quality bake, this luxury Bakewell is unlike any you’ve had before. It is made using our own fresh Raspberry Preserve and filled with a smooth, creamy almond frangipane, baked in a light, crisp, buttery pastry.
Now all that is left to do is find the perfect gift for your mum! If she loves the sweet treats you serve at your afternoon tea then why not treat her to one of our delicious cakes, bakes and desserts boxes. You can shop all of them here.